[texbirds] Jabiru

  • From: Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:52:18 -0500

A Jabiru was photographed in Lavaca County in June and Texas Parks and Wildlife
Department was notified of the event in July.  I found either the same Jabiru
or a very similar looking one on August 6th on private property in Victoria
County.  The rancher searched for the bird after my discovery and was not able
to locate it.  I looked for it twice during the following week and did not
locate it.

Both landowners where the Jabiru has been sighted have said they did not want
the location of the birds identified to avoid any potential damage, liability
or bother to them or their neighbors.

I just received permission to notify the public that one or two Jabiru have
been in Texas for the last two months

Brent Ortego
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
Victoria, TX