[texbirds] Its Still Not Over - Blucher Park Quite Good Today

  • From: Ron Weeks <ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 20:17:29 -0700 (PDT)

TexBirders,

After doing some brush country birding in Jim Wells County, I stopped in to
Blucher Park in Corpus about 10:30AM hoping to refind the Yellow-green Vireo
Willie Sekula posted earlier in the week.  First trip around did not see much,
but then I saw a female Chestnut-sided.  Then a male Mourning in the same tree.
 Added a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak and two Yellow-bellied Flycatchers.
Then the vireo cranked up - eventually got a view way up in the canopy of the
mustard flanks.  A couple of Eastern Kingbirds popped up and then a Gray
Catbird appeared.  Also added an American Redstart in the end.  Not bad for the
last day in May.

Had quite a few shorebirds at Formosa-Tejano Wetlands near LaWard.  Both
yellowlegs, Stilt Sandpipers, Pectoral and a group of Wilson's Phalaropes.
Also had a calling King Rail, a lingering Ruddy Duck and two Wood Storks.  Also
had 6 storks yesterday west of Orange Grove.  So spring migration is still
cranking and the post-breeders have already begun to arrive.

Ron Weeks
Lake Jackson