[texbirds] Interesting influx of hummingbirds in Lubbock tody

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 10:58:15 -0500

Greetings All:
I have two hummingbird feeder up in my yard and they are generally tended
to by a Black-chinned Hummingbird or two from early spring through late
fall.

This morning, however, there have been multiple birds fighting for access
to the feeder that is closest to the best perches (liveoaks and an
overhanging cable line).

So far as I can tell there are at least two immature Black-chinned
Hummingbirds. There are probably more but that is the most I have seen at
one time.

There is also, if Sibley is to be trusted, an immature female Calliope
Hummingbird. This is rather late for the species in our region but does
not fall outside of the range for the specie' migration according to the
TOS handbook.

The real stunner, appearance-wise, is an immature male Rufous Hummingbird.
He is orangeing up nicely with a striking orange supercilium and numerous
rfous patches in the throat. This species is the one most likely to
overwinter in my yard and I am going out to refresh the feeders as soon as
I hit send:)

I suspect that all of this activity is due to the weather system that is
sweeping into our region, from sothwest to northeast, and that this might
not bode well for Rich Kostecke when I hit Clapp Park tomorrow:)

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock