[texbirds] Interesting encounter between crows and roadrunner

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:52:57 -0500

with a chopped weenie.  Turned my back and went in the house.  Crow people
were right over head 15-20' or so figured they would wipe it out in
seconds.  ...But after going into the house for fire ant bait for a few
minutes,  I returned to the porch to see a roadrunner on the feeder....It
helped itself to as much as it wanted while the crows sat above in the oak
dumbfounded and not even raising a ruckus....They only do this with
squirrels usually.  This is the first time I have seen this behavior and
had no idea crows considered Roadrunners as threatening... .  Once the
Roadrunner left the feeder platform, the alpha crow was all over it for
what was left instantly followed by it's spouse and the 2 remaining HY
young..   ...Something new every day.  Never thought a Roadrunner could
impede a crow's desire for chow.  What gives?
  Early this AM a Swainson's Thrush still lingered on the property (heard
only) as well as a Black-and-white Warbler, but I had little time to bird
today, tho could hear Sandhills thru the open doors on and off thru most of
the afternoon.
--
Brush Freeman