[texbirds] Info for German Visitor to San Antonio

  • From: sanandave@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 20:35:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi All:

A birder from Germany will be visiting San Antonio at the end of January, and
will have time to go birding on Jan 31, Feb 1, and Feb 2.  I am going to take
him out all day on the 2nd, but I am sure he would love to go out with someone
else on the other two days. I have several requests related to his visit for
the South Texas birders in Texbirds:

1. I was planning to take him to Mitchell Lake (I am a docent there, so we can
do a comprehensive sweep) and to Choke Canyon, with the Green Jays as a primary
target bird. Are the jays there this time of year (I have only visited there in
Spring and Fall)? Obviously, I would also like to know what other interesting
species are being seen there now. I have the TPWD maps for both the Calliham
and the South Shore units, so potential detailed locations could be referenced
using them.

2. He sent me a list of what would be "lifers" for him (many of them, of
course, are not to be found in this area), as follows:

Canvasback
Snow Goose
Ross’s Goose
Northern Bobwhite
American Bittern
Harris’s Hawk
Prairie Falcon
Long Billed Curlew
Mountain Plover
Great Horned Owl
Burrowing Owl
Eastern Screech Owl
Sedge wren
Curve Billed Thrasher
Sage Thrasher
Sprague’s Pipit
Pyrrhuloxia
Green Jay
Green Tailed Towhee
Rufous-crowned Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Harris’s Sparrow
Lark Bunting
McCown’s Longspur
Chestnut Collared Longspur
Audoubon’s Oriole

Please do let me know ASAP about any current or likely sighting locations for
any of the above species

3. In case anyone is interested in taking him out on 1/31 or 2/1, he said (and
I quote): "I won’t have a car but will happily come up for the gas (as well
as food + drink of course)" - - so your costs would be only your time.

Please send any and all responses to my personal email address
sanandave@xxxxxxx. I will appreciate all thoughts and other input any of you
may have.

Thanks very much in advance..............,                            Dave
Goodrich