[texbirds] Incoming missile sound

  • From: "LMarkoff" <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <TX-HUMMER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 08:22:55 -0500

I've been watching and listening for the "Missile hum" since yesterday, but
haven't heard it again.  The adult male Ruby-throated bully hum is still
terrorizing the other hums away from the feeders.  They sneak in once in a
while, but mostly use the flowers in the yard.  I received a number of
replies with good suggestions regarding the "incoming missile" sound.

I listened to sound files for Broad-tailed, my first guess and the
suggestion of several folks, but that sound was too whirry.  For me, it
conjured up an image of a loose part rattling and ready to fall off as the
bird motored along.  It's been a number of years since I've heard BTLH, so I
had forgotten that whir.  That wasn't what I heard.  Listen here for BTLH
wing sound:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Broad-tailed_Hummingbird/sounds

Another suggestion was Ruby-throated.  I've heard RTHU do a missile sound
both here and in my Virginia yard where they nested, but it wasn't as sharp
and emphatic as the sound that I heard yesterday.  You can hear the RTHU
sound in the first entry here:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=Ruby-throated+Hummingbird+%28Arch
ilochus+colubris%29+10
<http://www.xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=Ruby-throated+Hummingbird+%28Arc
hilochus+colubris%29+10&species_nr=bmssma> &species_nr=bmssma

Other suggestions were Rufous or Allen's hummers.  When I listened to RUHU
and ALHU wing sounds, the dive sounds in their display flights were closer
to what I heard.  Here's one for Allen's (thanks, Paula!).  Listen to the
male flight display recording.  At the very end you will hear a missile
sound.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Allens_Hummingbird/sounds

I found dive sounds for both Rufous and Allen's here.  You have to click on
the sonogram to hear the sounds.   http://www.appliedbioacoustics.com/

After listening to all the recordings the best match for what I heard was an
Allen's dive sound.  Given that those sounds are part of their breeding
display, it doesn't seem likely to happen here.  So I am left with another
"I don't know, let it go" bird.

One other possibility occurred to me.  Perhaps it is a Ruby-throated with
oddball feathers (due to molt?) that produced a stronger, more emphatic
scream than the typical RTHU missile sound?

I don't know, will let it go...but it was fun to ponder on.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Lori Markoff

far southwest Austin