[texbirds] In search of exotics.

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <FCollins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 21:10:30 +0000

Dear die-hard summer birders of the Houston area,
Each year we have a senior bus trip in early June to track down the exotic bird
species of metropolitan Houston. If you are over 50, you may sign up for this
trip which is free. It departs from Kleb Woods Nature Center at 8:00 AM and
will return there by 6:00 PM. We will eat lunch at a local restaurant in the
Heights. Bring money for your lunch.

We are trying to locate some of the more elusive species and could use your
help. If you are willing to scout for us, we need help prior to the bus trip.
We do not have a current location for Northern Red Bishop (formerly Orange
Bishop), Pin-tailed Whydah, Orange-cheeked Waxbill, or Bronze Mannikin. If you
have seen any of these species in the last few weeks, we would appreciate a tip.

Many people have asked Kendra Kocab or I why one of the exotics is not on the
state list as a countable bird. The short answer is that there is not enough
data. Finding these species nesting is an important step in that process. We
would appreciate reports of any nesting activity of all of the exotics which
are not yet on the official state list. Scaly-breasted Munia have large nests
similar to House Sparrows and are most often in a tree. You would assume such a
large nest belongs to a larger bird. Even though the circumstantial evidence
for this species breeding is strong, to my knowledge no actual nest has been
found in Texas. Help us change that this summer.

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377
281-357-5324