[texbirds] Re: Ill crows

  • From: Becky Schwiebert <drdrnef@xxxxxxx>
  • To: shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 17:55:47 -0400 (EDT)

All,

Because of the uptick in West Nile Virus cases this year it is important to
report sick or dead birds, especially those species more susceptible to the
infection in the event local public health officials would like to assay for
seropositivity.  Even if we know the virus is being reported, it is important
to know from an epidemiologic standpoint whether the number of cases is static
or increasing.  I would encourage you to report such sightings or submit
carcasses for testing.

Becky Schwiebert, DVM, PhD
Pearland

From: Linda Price <lprice@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] West Nile Virus Re: Ultey migrants etc. WNV
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:15:03 -0500

I saw a dead crow on August 15 in north Longview, Gregg County. I called the
West Nile reporting center in Tyler. I was told they don't track crow deaths
anymore because they know the Virus is out there.

I guess if you see a dead crow and there is no known Virus outbreak, that
should be reported.

Linda Gail Price
Longview, Texas