[texbirds] Re: Ill crows

  • From: "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 14:32:53 -0500

TexBirders:

Yesterday, August 22, around 1:00 or 200 p.m., my brother and I saw a large
corvid dragging its tail as it walked something like 30-50 feet as it
crossed the street my brother lives on.  The complex Ron lives in is
adjacent to the southern boundary of San Antonio's McAllister Park. The bird
was heading towards McAllister Park.

Onward!

Steve

Stevan Hawkins

San Antonio TX

From: Linda Price <lprice@xxxxxxx>

Subject: [texbirds] West Nile Virus Re: Ultey migrants etc. WNV

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:15:03 -0500

I saw a dead crow on August 15 in north Longview, Gregg County. I called the
West Nile reporting center in Tyler. I was told they don't track crow deaths
anymore because they know the Virus is out there.

I guess if you see a dead crow and there is no known Virus outbreak, that
should be reported.

Linda Gail Price

Longview, Texas

On Aug 1, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Brush Freeman wrote:

>   Also curious if birds are being found due to recent outbreak of West
Nile Virus.  One of my crows seems to have vanished , one of the young
birds, at least I have not seen it in several days.  Right now the family
group only has four birds.  Also in Utley it has been quite a while since I
have seen or heard a Blue Jay.   Would Purple Martins be influenced by WN
and would dead birds or grackles appear at the roosts?  BTW how is the
Highland Mall roost?