[texbirds] If you're coming to Big Bend to bird

  • From: carolynohl@xxxxxxx
  • To: TEXBIRDS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 20:18:22 -0500 (EST)

It would be worth your time to taken Highway 385 between Ft Stockton and
Marathon. There are thousands of bluebirds and other species in the junipers
(driving south from the rest area). I was pressed for time when I drove that
highway today, but I saw all kinds of interesting birds, including Sage
Thrashers. I just didn't have time to stop and bird. About 8-10 miles from
Marathon, on the east side of the road are a couple of pull-offs, marked with
rocks. Good places to stop and bird too. One of those places is the Prairie Dog
colony. I don't think there are any Burrowing Owls there at this time, though.

If you can't do 385, there are still lots of bluebirds, etc in the vicinity of
Mile High Road 10 miles south of Alpine.

And don't forget to check out the hummingbird feeders at Lajitas. Yesterday the
Blue-throated and Broad-billed were still there and you never know what might
show up next.

Carolyn Ohl-Johnson
Big Bend area