[texbirds] ID help

  • From: "Judy Kestner" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds posts" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 10:38:53 -0500

Just a moment ago I had what I thought to be a Clay-colored Sparrow in a small
tree in my backyard in Corpus Christi.
It was facing me, and what caught my eye was the pale grayish breast -- but
also a LONG tail with WHITE outer feathers.  It's drizzling here, and the tail
looked somewhat bedraggled.

The face markings were like a Clay-colored's, i.e. pale throat, malar stripe,
pale submustachial, dark mustachial, line through eye, pale supercilium, very
stripy head with pale central stripe.  It had a sharp, pinkish bill and legs
and no markings on the breast, other than a slight buffy wash on the sides.

It sat still for a minute, yawned and then jumped down into my weed patch and
disappeared.  No photo, just notes.....  And I did say it all aloud to myself
which, indeed, does help one remember.

Judy Kestner
Calallen (NW Corpus Christi)