[texbirds] Hummingbirds 1/8/14

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 10:26:29 -0500 (EST)

Yesterday morning around 10 AM as we were leaving the house we noticed an
adult Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird at one of the feeders. Since they were all
frozen I quickly refilled with some warmer solution and we left. This
morning  about 7 AM I noticed movement at the feeder outside our kitchen window
and  watched for a little while and there on the feeder was what I believe to
be the  Calliope Hummingbird back. I could not be 100% sure but for now
that's what I am  calling it. Short tail and bill and chunky looking. Light was
not good but while  I was watching it about the 3 rd or 4th trip to the
feeder suddenly another  hummer slammed into it and knocked it into the window.
Shortly afterwards I  noticed it at the feeder in the back yard and have
not seen either of them  since.

Jan and I visited the Texas City Dike yesterday afternoon and just for the
record it was pretty dead. Not near the gulls I would have thought would be
 there and nothing shorebird wise except a handfull of Sanderlings and
Dunlins  and one Am Oystercatcher(not banded). The only thing exciting in the
water was 3  Buffleheads and 3 Common Loons and not a single Grebe.

David and Jan  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers County
Galveston Bay Area  Master Naturalist