[texbirds] Hummingbird festival at Kleb Woods this Saturday

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:16:50 +0000

Dear Texbirders,

Kleb Woods Nature Center, on Draper Road in Tomball 77377, will have a
hummingbird festival this Saturday from 9 am - 3 pm. The activities will be
highlighted with hummingbird banding by Sumita Prasad. Talks will include Gary
Clark, author of the Houston Chronicle Nature column. His talk will feature
hummingbird photographs by Kathy Adams-Clark. Mary Anne Weber of the Houston
Audubon Society will be here with her live owls and will also do a
presentation. Also our own Kendra Kocab will present a talk about identifying
hummingbirds and caring for them at your backyard feeders. This year we are
pleased to have the Texas Native Plant Society, the Heartwood Master Naturalist
 and the Katy Prairie Conservancy with booths and/or activities.  As always
there will be lots of activities for young children.

This is not a program targeted specifically to bird watchers, but for people
who are interested in birds and nature in their backyards. Texbirders and world
travelers will enjoy Gary Clark's program that will feature many tropical
hummingbirds. However, much of the activity is targeted for your children or
grandchildren. I hope you will recommend this day to that neighbor who is
always asking you about a bird but never wants to go birding with you.

The day is completely free of any fees or donation request. Nothing will be for
sale, so bring your own food and drink. For more information please check the
web site www.pct3.hctx.net<http://www.pct3.hctx.net> and watch for the
scrolling marquee to list Commissioner Radack's Hummingbird Festival. Click on
that and see a color flyer with more details.

All activities are on a well-covered porch and all the speakers are indoors.
Bring your umbrella to get from the parking lot to the building and rain, if it
comes, will not trouble you or the event.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center
             Cypress Top Historical Park