[texbirds] Hudsonian Godwits - Uvalde Co.

  • From: mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 07:22:42 -0700

Hi all,

I was guiding some fine folks yesterday (May 11) and I
digi-docu'd (poorly but ID-ably) THREE Hudsonian Godwit at
a wettish hoof print near Sabinal, Texas. I know of only
one prior Uvalde Co. record of one bird from May 5, 2006
(and a few days subsequently).

The birds were at the 2730 tanks. UvCo 2730 connects Hwys. 90
and 127 a couple miles west of Sabinal. The tanks are a couple
stock tanks on the east side of 2730 a mile +- north of Hwy. 90,
and have been dry most of the last 6-7 years, but used to be
very good. To give credit, I found out about them in June
Osborne's Birding Concan guide book when I moved here. I've
checked them regularly for 12+ years now, mostly just to make
sure they were still dry and bird-free. Prior, 4 American
Golden-Plover was my best find (fairly rare here).

The HudGods were there at 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. among some
Lesser Yellowlegs and Wilson's Phalaropes, in the p.m. visit
2 Stilt Sandpipers had found the puddle.

A flock of 3 peeps at the hatchery were a Least, a Baird's,
and a Semipalmated, the SemiSand not always easy here. Lots
of tardy ducks (for UvCo) including Wigeon, Gadwall, and 2
pair of Redhead. Several tonnes of Dickcissel are along
many roads in UvCo, and Lower Sabinal Rd. (aka old 90) still
has a field with singing Cassin's Sparrow and Grasshopper
Sparrow between Sabinal and the Knippa kut-off.

Mitch Heindel
Utopia