[texbirds] Hudsonian Godwits, Brazoria County

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 18:24:46 -0500

TexBirders,

This morning I was heading to the boat ramp on Bastrop Bayou and stopped
off at Stubblefield Lake which is on FM 523 south of the turn off for
Brazoria NWR to look for some more shorebirds for my patch. I was scoping
through yellowlegs, dunlin, western sandpiper, etc. looking for something
new when two godwits flew in. I was excited because I've been looking for a
Marbled Godwit in my patch for a while now without success. But hold on -
these weren't Marbled Godwits. They were Hudsonian Godwits! Looked like two
males in near breeding plumage. I wasn't believing my eyes so I called Ron
Weeks and he told me the early date for that species is April 10, so these
are 5 days early. They started bathing and I could clearly see the white
rump patch. Something spooked all the birds and they took off with
everything else and did not return unfortunately. They were only there
about 5 minutes. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! I
checked again this afternoon but they had not returned.

Sue

Susan A. Heath, Ph.D.
Avian Conservation Biologist
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 W. Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
979-480-0999
Join us in our quest to study and conserve birds and their habitat around
the Gulf of Mexico.
www.gcbo.org
Sign-Up for our monthly E-News Letter
http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/205/MenuGroup/Home.htm