[texbirds] Re: How in the hell does one bird Kenedy County?

  • From: lmj6464@xxxxxxx
  • To: jay@xxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 10:29:00 -0500 (EST)

Jay,

I would agree that you have almost exhausted the birding possibilities
generally available in Kenedy County.  The only other sites are the ranch
mentioned by Jim Sinclair a few days ago on Texbirds and the beach at Padre
Island National Seashore.  Below the Malaquite visitor center, the Kenedy
County line is about ten miles down the beach and you can drive another 3-5
miles in a 2WD vehicle before reaching the shell beach (which requires 4WD).
Of course there is not a lot of variety on the beach, but you can add several
species not otherwise accessible.

Kenedy County is a lot more productive in wet years when there is a large pond
in Sarita and several ponds along US 77 and La Parra Road.  However, it is
tough, and usually takes several trips at different times of the year to get
much of a county list.

Larry Jordan
Corpus Christi