[texbirds] Re: How in the hell does one bird Kenedy County?

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jay@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 06:27:52 -0600

As Brush mentioned he and I were discussing this just yesterday.
There may be a bright spot for the future.  I have been working with a
landowner that has a relatively small inholding of about 176 acres.  The
property has some excellent features, including an excellent water
feature.  Although I have spent just three half days on the property
itself, Brush Freeman and I (and a few others) have many, many hours
birding immediately around it.  I led a couple of tours there during the
TOS meeting in Corpus Christi.  Although we have not yet seen/heard
Ferruginous Pygmy-owl on the property, I have seen them within a mile, and
it has proper habitat.  Joel Simon even discovered an Aplomado Falcon very
near the property a few years back.

If this does get established, there will be a small fee, and access would
be by reservation only.

--
Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein