[texbirds] How in the hell does one bird Kenedy County?

  • From: Jay Packer <jay@xxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 21:24:32 -0600

I've gotten myself into quite a pickle… My wife and I are doing the whole
century club thing. 100 birds, 100 counties. For most of the 2000s, I led tours
at the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival and was very fortunate to get to
visit the King Ranch and El Canelo many times. Thus I have over 100 birds in
Kenedy County. We're trying to catch my wife up in all the counties I already
have 100 in. So far, it's been going swell the last few years.
Until tonight.

I had no clue that Kenedy County was so completely unaccessible for birding! I
know about Sarita (I was bitten by a Rottweiler once just before I saw a
Rufous-backed Robin, but that's another story), I know about the roadside rest
area south of Sarita. I've found reference to Olmos Creek, the county line
between Kleberg and Kenedy…

Is there anything else in the way of publicly accessible spots? Is there any
access to the miles upon miles of coastline? Any secret spots for waterfowl,
shorebirds, etc? Is Olmos Creek something that can be walked? Or is it just
something viewed from the shoulder of the highway?

We're teachers, so it's a little difficult to swallow the costs that a lot of
the private ranches want for a few hours of access. I believe in putting my
money where my mouth is, but in this case, my mouth is sadly a lot bigger than
my money. I know this whole thing is a very silly game we're playing, but it's
been a source of great joy as we've explored more and more out of the way
places. Plus, we've kind of committed ourselves to the game by now.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--
Jay Packer