[texbirds] House Finches at UTB

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 11:22:03 -0800 (PST)

About 5:30 Wednesday afternoon I was headed for a class that I teach on the UTB
campus  when i saw some small, drab-looking birds feeding on the ground
adjacent to the Mary Rose Cardenas South building (on the side that faces the
Fort Brown Resaca).

I did not have binoculars, but as the birds came closer I saw they were House
Finches -- 12 to 14 of them, with four or five brightly-colored males.This is
the first time I have seen them in Cameron County.

The water levels in the resaca are very low at the moment. Consequently, it is
full of waders and other aquatic birds. Today I saw 20 White Pelicans swimming
back and forth, one Great Blue Heron, two White Ibises, two Great Egrets, four
Roseate Spoonbills, four ducks I could not identify in the distance and a
flying flock of 10 or 12 small sandpipers that I also could not ID with the
naked eye.

Not bad for an urban area.

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo