[texbirds] Hornsby/Platt - Purple Finch, 2 vireos, Golden-crowned Kinglet, snipes.

  • From: Christian Walker <christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 13:40:37 -0600

Hello,
I led the Hornsby Bend bird walk with Jean Martin, Stan Van Standt and others
this morning and we found a lot of birds. The ponds were relatively quiet, but
Platt Lane was super busy. Some in our group took a picture of a female Purple
Finch which I did not see…jealous. Definitely the highlight of the day, but
other good birds along Platt were both Blue-headed and White-eyed Vireos, good
numbers of sparrows including 2 Dark-eyed Juncos, great looks at a
Golden-crowned Kinglet, and a Cave Swallow along the river. Platt was amazingly
birdy - we spent two hours just walking from the abandoned house to the river.
The ponds had good numbers of ducks, mainly shovelers, with 2 Bufflehead, some
Lesser Scaup, and a Ring-necked Duck. Also great looks at Wilson’s Snipes.

Good birding,

Christian Walker
Austin 512 431 2495

Hornsby Bend (HOTE 037), Travis, US-TX
Nov 15, 2014 7:20 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Leading the Hornsby Bend bird walk with Jean Martin. Overcast,
0-5 mph E, around 45 degrees F.
42 species (+2 other taxa)

Gadwall  8
American Wigeon  4
Northern Shoveler  650
Green-winged Teal  90
Ring-necked Duck  1
Lesser Scaup  10
Bufflehead  2
Ruddy Duck  30
Double-crested Cormorant  1
Black Vulture  2
American Coot  3
Killdeer  13
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Least Sandpiper  30
Wilson's Snipe  4
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  2
Mourning Dove  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  2
Crested Caracara  1
American Kestrel  1
Monk Parakeet  13
Eastern Phoebe  7
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  4
Loggerhead Shrike  1
Blue Jay  1
Carolina Chickadee  4
Tufted x Black-crested Titmouse (hybrid)  2
Carolina Wren  5
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  4
Eastern Bluebird  2
Hermit Thrush  2
Northern Mockingbird  3
European Starling  15
American Pipit  3
Orange-crowned Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  25
Savannah Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  6
Red-winged Blackbird  35
Western/Eastern Meadowlark  3
Great-tailed Grackle  35
House Sparrow  2

View this checklist online at

Begin forwarded message:

> From: ebird-checklist@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: eBird Report - Platt Lane (Travis Co.), Nov 15, 2014
> Date: November 15, 2014 at 1:30:48 PM CST
> To: christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Platt Lane (Travis Co.), Travis, US-TX
> Nov 15, 2014 10:00 AM - 12:10 PM
> Protocol: Traveling
> 1.5 mile(s)
> Comments:     Birding with the Hornsby Bend Bird walk folks. Overcast 0-5 mph
> E, 44 degrees F.
> 50 species (+2 other taxa)
>
> Wood Duck  3
> Gadwall  70
> American Wigeon  20
> Lesser Scaup  1
> Pied-billed Grebe  3
> Double-crested Cormorant  6
> Great Egret  1
> Snowy Egret  1
> Red-shouldered Hawk  1
> Red-tailed Hawk  3
> Killdeer  3
> Spotted Sandpiper  1
> White-winged Dove  2
> Belted Kingfisher  1
> Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
> Downy Woodpecker  3
> Northern Flicker  3
> Eastern Phoebe  4
> Loggerhead Shrike  1
> White-eyed Vireo  1
> Blue-headed Vireo  1
> Blue Jay  1
> American Crow  3
> Cave Swallow  1
> Carolina Chickadee  7
> Tufted x Black-crested Titmouse (hybrid)  3
> House Wren  7
> Carolina Wren  7
> Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  4
> Golden-crowned Kinglet  2