[texbirds] Hornsby Bend Cowbirds, Yellow-headed Blackbirds

  • From: Margaret Wallace <pegwallace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:26:30 -0500

Hi all,
I was out at Hornsby Bend (Travis County) on Saturday (Oct 26) for the
Ecological Workday, and several of us stayed for some birding in the
afternoon. We were driving to the ponds, and as we approached I noticed
that the ground near the ramp was black, and seemed to be moving. We
slowed, and got binoculars on it, and found a HUGE flock of Brown-headed
Cowbirds. There were probably at least 2000 birds all packed together.

We inched closer, and found that most of them were standing quietly in the
road with wings slightly drooped and eyes closed. They seemed to be
sleeping. Several hundred were packed together in the grass below and
behind the sign foraging. The flock was mixed males and females, as well as
juveniles. In addition, we spotted 4 Yellow-headed Blackbirds. One
particularly bright male stood out from the crowd like a glowing little
spark.

The sound was really amazing as well. It sounded like running water. I
guess it was a combination of the males’ gurgling songs, and the females’
chatter calls. In any case, it was a remarkable sight and sound. We watched
this for probably 15 minutes, until a young Cooper’s Hawk came by and
buzzed the flock. They flew in a tight formation like the giant flocks of
starlings that you often see on nature videos. The hawk was not successful
at catching anyone, and they flew off into the hayfield.

Other notable birds were at least two family groups of Crested Caracaras in
the hayfield, a Black-throated Green Warbler (that I didn’t see but heard
about), and a White-eyed Vireo calling between the Island View trails.
There are not many ducks yet, and the ponds are very high, so shorebird
habitat is limited. The big rains have flooded the piles of biosolids and
created some ponds there, so a few peeps and Yellow-legs were lurking
around.

Peg Wallace
Austin