[texbirds] Hooded Warbler and Pine Siskins at Lake Tawakoni State Park

  • From: "Richard" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rdkrsh@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 12:09:46 -0400

I did some birding at Lake Tawakoni State Park.  I got two very interesting
birds.  First was a male Hooded Warbler on the left hand loop of the Spring
Point trail.   The bird was calling a lot and fanning its tail.  I was shocked
to see a male so late.  Off the top of my head this is just 2nd fall record
around Lake Tawakoni for a Hooded and about the 12th overall record.   2nd bird
of interest were two small flocks of Pine Siskins calling and flying south a
couple of birds lit in the trees for a few minutes and moved on.  There was a
low grade movement of birds.  Nothing as interesting as these two though.   Due
to surgery i restricted my attempts to cover the park.  Other birds that caught
my interest FOF Lincoln's Sparrow and Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  Lingering
White-eyed Vireo and Indigo Buntings.  Also decent swallow movement, lots of
Brown Thrashers, 5 Ospreys, Black-throated Green Warbler, Nashville Warbler,
Common Yellowthroat, Wilson's Warbler, Blue-headed Vireo-all singles.
Thrashers, Flickers and House Wrens continued to drift in.  I didnt see any
Pelicans-odd with 1000's last weeks and only a couple of Cormorants.

Richard Kinney