[texbirds] Hooded Merganer (01/01/14): Dixieland Pk. (Harlingen, Cameron Co.)

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 10:00:38 -0600

Yesterday (01/01/14) we found a nice New Year's Bird at Dixieland Park,
Harlingen (Cameron Co.), namely a male Hooded Merganser. It was found in the
reservoir as viewed from near the east end of the paved park road that runs
along the north side of the reservoir.  The merganser often was near a buoy.
Also present and viewed from the same end of the same road was an attractive
male Vermilion Flycatcher.

Be forewarned that the ground alongside this road and around this reservoir
is extremely soft and muddy thanks to the very huge amount of rain in the
lower Rio Grande Valley of late. The same may be said of the dirt roads
anywhere in this general area. Yesterday we saw some astonishingly flooded
fields widespread in Cameron and eastern Hidalgo counties.

Rex Stanford
Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX