[texbirds] Re: Historical BBWD Roosts in Harris County (1977-2013 Cypress Creek CBC's)

  • From: Berner Family <jcazberner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 21:22:15 -0800 (PST)

Texbirders & Joseph K:

Thanks Joseph. for your historical perspective. I would like to add some of
thhis older data to ebird

I Will see if i can dig up some of the old figures

Using the Audubon Xmas Count website, I  was able to pull up all Cypress Creek
CBC data from the current circle and the two predecessor circles
Codes: TXCY, TZ2A, TX2B

Results show that David's recent flock of 1100+ at one location is as large as
the CBC flocks of old. In the Cypress Creek Christmas Bird Count with many
observers over a large area the high count on the Katy Prairie is 1,200. I am
reluctant to enter all 1,200 at one location in ebird though since the CBC has
a 7.5 mile radius unlike david's pond so maybe this is more than one group of
birds. I searched from 1964 on but data stopped at 1977. Presumably there were
very few or no BBWD in Harris County prior to 1977 anyway--as zero were
observed in 1977. All the counts not shown below in mor recent years have zero
BBWD.

Count #  # of BBWD
77  0
84  258
85  17
86  1098
87  1100
88  1
89  30
90  30
92  1200
93  1074
94  150
95  732
102  1
105  20
106  7
107  103
108  1
109  300
110  202
111  8
113
1

Joseph, Not sure how to access the early 1980's North American Birds data you
mentioned for Harris County but if some Texbirder has it, i would be glad to do
the searching. I appreciate your thoughts. I would love for the phrase
"all-time Harris County high" to mean more in ebird than it does now--by
numbers of species seen together in the past.
John Berner
W.Houston/Katy