[texbirds] Re: Highlights from weekend in Somervell and Hood Counties

  • From: Steven Glover <stevenglover99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: terrverts@xxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 12:23:25 -0500

Hi all,
Although Tony is disappointed by his warblering over the weekend, 20
species is an outstanding total in North Central Texas, particularly
without heading east to get some of additional species that breed there
(Swainson's, Prairie, Kentucky, etc). Also, he had several that are scarce
to almost unknown in North Central Texas. Golden-winged is annual in tiny
numbers in spring, Hooded is rare and I don't think annual (and usually out
in the Lake Tawakoni area) and MacGillivray's Warbler is nearly unknown.
I'm not sure if any of the long-time NCTX birders have MacGillivray's
though we have suspected it occurs occasionally in the western portions of
the region. Additionally, Wood Thrush is very hard to come by and both the
Acadian Flycatcher and Yellow-throated Vireo are noteworthy for the time
and/or place. I personally haven't come across the 3 warblers or the thrush
in the four years I have been here.

Happy birding,

Steve Glover
Fort Worth

Greetings All:
I spent the weekend chasing hundreds in Somervell and Hood Counties.
Considering the warbler reports that have been trickling in on texbirds, I
would have thought I would have kicked out more warblers during the weekend
but two things were working against me: these two counties are a bit on the
western edge of Texas' swath of migratory warblers and the weather was
altogether too pleasant.  Working for me: Wheeler's Branch Park in
Somervell County - public access to water in Somervell County - WooHoo.
Also working for me: Squaw Creek Lake Park, Hunter Park, and Thorp Springs
Park - public access to hikable water edges in Hood County.  For the heck
of it, I am including every warbler sighted - to show that, compared to
sights east and south, this trip was a real tooth-puller for warblers.

I had no highlights during the overnight drive from Lubbock to the
Erath/Somervell County line though I did have many entertainingly close
encounters with deer.

I spent 0440 to 1240 on Saturday birding Somervell County, focusing my
efforts on creek crossings along CR 1008 until Dinosaur Valley State Park
opened, a three hour hike at Dinosaur Valley State Park, and almost an hour
at Wheeler's Branch Park.  Highlights from CR 2008: 1 Least Flycatcher, 1
Ash-throated Flycatcher, 1 Nashville Warbler, and 1 Northern Parula.
Highlights from Dinosaur Valley State Park: 2 Blue-winged Teals, 38 Cattle
Egrets, 2 Spotted Sandpipers, 1 Solitary Sandpiper, 1 Black-capped Vireo, 1
Yellow-throated Vireo, 1 Swainson's Thrush, 1 Northern Waterthrush, 2
Black-and-white Warblers,  2 Tennessee Warblers, 1 Yellow Warbler, 2
Golden-cheeked Warblers, and 1 Yellow-breasted Chat.  Highlights from
Wheeler's Branch Park: 1 Magnolia Warbler and 1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

I spent 1240 to 1840 on Saturday birding Hood County, focusing my efforts
on a three hour hike at Squaw Creek Lake Park and a three hour exploration
of the Fall Creek area just southeast of Granbury.  Highlights from Squaw
Creek Lake Park: 3 late Redheads, 5 Franklin's Gulls, 76 Black Terns, 1
Swainson's Thrush, 1 Black-and-white Warbler, and 2 Nashville Warblers.
Highlights from Fall Creek Cemetey: 1 Alder Flycatcher (good looks for what
that is worth and I was able to elicit, legally, some call notes), 1
Golden-winged Warbler, and 1 Yellow Warbler.  Highlights from Fall Creek
itself: 2 Blue-winged Teals, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 1 Wood Thrush, and 1
Louisiana Waterthrush.

I spent from 0630 to 1300 on Sunday birding Hood County, focusing my
efforts on Hunter Park, Thorp Springs Park, Evergeen Cemetery Road, Lipan,
and creek crossings just west of Lipan.  Highlights from Hunter Park: 1
Gray Catbird, 1 Orange-crowned Warbler, 1 American Redstart, 2 Yellow
Warblers, 1 Blackburnian Warbler, 1 Black-throated Green Warbler, 2
Chipping Sparrows, and 6 Clay-colored Sparrows.  Highlights from Thorp
Springs Park: 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 4 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 7 Least
Sandpipers, 4 Baird's Sandpipers, 1 Wilson's Phalarope, 1 Tennessee
Warbler, and 1 Yellow Warbler.  Highlights from Evergreen Cemetery Road: 1
Cooper's Hawk, 1 Red-headed Woodpecker, and 1 Wilson's Warbler.  Highlights
from Lipan and associated creek crossings: 1 Acadian Flycatcher, 2
Black-capped Vireos, 1 Red-eyed Vireo, 1 Mourning Warbler, 1 Northern
Parula, 1 Yellow Warbler, and 1 Hooded Warbler.

Highlights from Palo Pinto County: 1 Nashville Warbler and 1 Yellow Warbler
at a creek crossing just west of the Hood/Palo Pinto County line.

Highlights from Stephens County: 1 Franklin's Gull and 9 Yellow-headed
Blackbirds at the Hubbard Creek Reservoir; 1 Least Flycatcher, 1
Orange-crowned Warbler, 1 Nashville Warbler, 1 MacGillivray's Warbler, 2
Yellow Warblers, and 1 Wilson's Warbler in a thicket where CR 336 is now -
inexplicably - closed to lakeside passage.

Highlights from Shackelford County: 1 Eastern Wood Pewee, 1 Bell's Vireo, 1
Nashville Warbler, 2 Yellow Warblers, and 1 Wilson's Warbler in thickets at
the closed bridge (Highway 180) just west of the Stephens/Shackelford
County line.

Highlights from Jones County: 1 Chuck-will's-widow, 1 Bell's Vireo, 1
Northern Waterthrush, 2 Common Yellowthroats, 1 MacGillivray's Warbler, 1
Yellow Warbler, 1 Wilson's Warbler, 4 Yellow-breasted Chats, and 1 Summer
Tanager at what's left of the riparian area below what is left of the
completely dried down South Lake.

In summary (for you warbler fans): twenty four hours of birding in decent
habitat in the western portion of north central Texas and points west
kicked out a grand total of 1 Louisiana Waterthrush, 2 Northern
Waterthrushes, 3 Black-and-white Warblers, 1 Golden-winged Warbler, 2
Orange-crowned Warblers, 6 Nashville Warblers, 3 Tennessee Warblers, 3
Common Yellowthroats, 1 Mourning Warbler, 2 MacGillivray's Warblers, 1
American Restart, 2 Northern Parulas, 12 Yellow Warblers, 1 Magnolia
Warbler, 1 Blackburnian Warbler, 1 Black-throated Green Warbler, 2
Golden-cheeked Warblers, 1 Hooded Warbler, 4 Wilson's Warblers, and 5
Yellow-breasted Chats.  Put more simply: 53 individuals scattered across 20
species of warblers in twenty four hours of birding - or a good hour or two
at Warbler Woods or any of the other warbler hotpots folk have been posting
about over the weekend:)

On the other hand; I boosted my Somervell County list from 67 species to
107 species (my first visit during migration) and my Hood County list from
62 to 141 (my only previous visit was in the depths of winter) - adding two
somewhat difficult counties to my TCC list.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock