[texbirds] Highlights from trip to Jack and Wise Counties - Day One

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 09:46:23 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:

I decided to use this past weekend on a trip to the two closest counties that I
could add to my TCC list (Jack and Wise) and had a great weekend.  The addition
of those two counties to my TCC total will be the subject of separate posts but
I did want to get out a highlights reel of the trip first.

Highlights from Saturday, 13 October 2012, were scatted across six of the nine
counties I visited during the trip from Lubbock to Jacksboro.

Highlights from Lubbock County: 2 Snowy Egrets at Leroy Elmore Park and 1
Osprey in Slaton.

Highlights from Garza County: 1 Say's Phoebe near Post, 14 Scissor-tailed
Flycatchers (all below the escarpment), 1 Common Raven near the Beach Ranch,
and 2 Common Ravens just west of the Garza/Kent County line.

Highlights from Kent County: 5 Scissor-tailed Flycatchers near Jayton, 2 Common
Ravens near Clairemont, and 1 Common Raven near Jayton.

Highlights from Stonewall County: 2 White-breasted Nuthatches in Aspermont.

Highlights from Young County: 2 Common Gallinules amidst the horde of American
Coots at the pond at the intersection of Highway 380 and Highway 61.

Highlights from Jack County: 22 Cedar Waxwings in Jacksboro; 1 Neotropic
Cormorant and 1 Nashville Warbler at Twin Lakes; 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch, 1
Black-and-white Warbler, 9 Orange-crowned Warblers, 5 Nashville Warblers, 3
Common Yellowthroats, 1 Mourning Warbler, 1 Black-throated Green Warbler, and 1
Wilson's Warbler at Fort Richardson State Park.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock