[texbirds] Highlights from the Post Breeding Bird Survery

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 18:00:57 -0500

Greetings All:
This is the highlights reel for the Post BBS (Garza County).  A full report
is forthcoming.

I ran the Post BBS this morning - running from well west of Post parallel
to Highway 380 and then along Highway 380 into Post and then northeastward
along FM 651.  I list highlights in order of appearance: 1 Yellow-headed
Blackbird well west of Post, 2 Scaled Quails well west of Post, 4 Northern
Rough-winged Swallows just west of Post, 1 Bell's Vireo on the western
outskirts of Post, 1 Inca Dove in Post, 1 Purple Martin just northeast of
Post, 2 Bell's Vireos well northeast of Post, 1 Pyrrhuloxia well northeast
of Post, 1 female and 1 male Bronzed Cowbird well northeast of Post, and 2
Verdins almost at the Brazos River crossing.

I am no longer keeping track of Cave Swallow sightings in the region - they
are fairly well established, so far using culverts, throughout my fifteen
county region.  Sightings further north, in the Panhandle proper, are
probably still noteworthy.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock