[texbirds] Highlights from the Lower Canyon Lakes today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:28:13 -0500

Greetings All:
I spent an hour along Lake Six this morning/afternoon, noting 28 species of
bird including 1 Snowy Egret, 4 Cattle Egrets, and 1 Yellow-throated Vireo.

I spent an hour below Lake Six this afternoon, noting only 17 species of
bird with 18 Blue-winged Teal, 1 Snowy Egret, and 1 Green Heron the
highlights - along with a very healthy number of Common Grackles setting up
shop at this annual nesting site.

I had no highlights during a short visit to Mae Simmons Park. Wildflowers
are extraordinary this spring and butterflies were in much better than
expected form. Particularly notable: large numbers of Texas Crescents and
a few Mexican Yellows - both species I expect to see later in the year.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock