[texbirds] Highlights from the Dougherty BBS

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 14:43:05 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:

I polished off the Dougherty BBS today (the route runs, generally, Dougherty
towards and then beyond Floydada - all in Floyd County).  Highlights from the
route: 2 Common Ravens near Dougherty and 2 Cattle Egrets near Floydada.

On the way home I made some stops in Hale County, picking up 6 Black-necked
Stilts, 4 American Avocets, and four Common Yellowthroat territories (4 singing
males, 1 female tending 2 fledglings) at the Petersburg Settlement Ponds; 6
White-faced Ibises, 7 American Avocets, and 1 singing male Common Yellowthroat
at the playa just west of the Abernathy Country Club.  If one is lucky, one can
get to the Petersburg Dump on the correct Saturday early enough in the morning
to get permission to walk the edge of the ponds and associated marshland.  I
was trying for new butterfly records for the county - lucked into all of the
yellowthroats.

The only highlights in Lubbock County: 1 subadult and 1 adult Harris's Hawks on
the TTU Rangeland.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock