[texbirds] Highlights from the Circle Breeding Bird Survey

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 16:59:52 -0500

Greetings All:
This is the highlights reel for the Circle BBS (Lamb County).  A full
report is forthcoming.

I ran the Circle BBS this morning - running from just west of Circle,
roughly parallel to Highway 70, almost to the Lamb/Bailey County line.  I
list highlights in order of appearance: 1 Black-necked Stilt near Circle, 1
Curve-billed Thrasher near Springlake, 4 Cave Swallows near Earth, 1 male
Bronzed Cowbird in Earth, and 4 American Avocets near Earth.

After the survey was over I made my way homeward, adding a few more Lamb
County highlights including 2 Black-necked Stilts, 2 American Avocets, and
4 Cave Swallows on the western outskirts of Springlake; 2 Purple Martins
just north of Littlefield; 2 Blue-winged Teals in Littlefield.

Despite my note about not tracking Cave Swallows in my region, the
aforelisted birds are close enough to Panhandle Proper to bear the weight
of our attention - I have few reports from Hale, Lamb, or Bailey County.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock