[texbirds] Highlights from the Canyon Lakes this morning

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 14:11:17 -0500

Greetings All:
I birded four sites along the Canyon Lakes of Lubbock this morning/early
afternoon.

Lake Six was a tad slow - a lot of waterbirds have, seemingly, moved on -
but I did pick up a flock of 22 Cedar Waxwings in taller trees at one of
the picnic areas.

I spent a very short period of time at Mae Simmons Park and the only
highlight noted was the continuing Osprey.

I spent a big chunk of time at MacKenzie Park and highlights included
(thanks to Phillip Kite) a pair of Blue-winged Teals, a pair of Cinnamon
Teals, and a female Green-winged Teal all in the same field of view.  I
also kicked up 1 Sora, kicked up 1 Wilson's Snipe, and got long-range views
of a Golden-fronted Woodpecker (not easily found inside Loop 289).

I paid a quick visit to the lower reaches of the Purina Mountain Bike
Trail, lucking in to another pair of Cinnamon Teals.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock