[texbirds] Highlights from below Lake Six, Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 15:21:29 -0500

Greetings All:
I worked the riparian corridor from Lake Six down to East Loop 289 and then
back via some of the associated uplands. And work it was! With hot, dry,
windless conditions continuing migrants were almost non-existent - save for
Scissor-tailed Flycatchers, saw 36 of those, a good number for this site -
and, what with the rapid onset of The Heat this morning and the very slow
birding, by the time I got back to the car it was time for a lot of water
and a nap.

I only saw 37 species in three hours of birding some of the best migrant
habitat my region has and the highlights were: 1 Yellow-crowned Night
Heron, 1 Red-shouldered Hawk, 2 Spotted Sandpipers, 1 Olive-sided
Flycatcher, 1 Western Wood Pewee, 1 female Common Yellowthroat, 1 Yellow
Warbler, 1 Dickcissel, 1 male Bronzed Cowbird, and 1 female Orchard Oriole.

Three hours; primo habitat - three, possibly four (Common Yellowthroat
breeds at this site), single migrant songbirds!

Whatever is the opposite of WOW.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock