[texbirds] Highlights from Lake Six including Bronzed Cowbird - today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 17:15:17 -0600

Greetings All:
I birded Lake Six in Lubbock for well over an hour today, noting 32 species
including the following highlights: 4 Canvasbacks, 4 Common Mergansers, 1
Osprey, 1 Green-tailed Towhee (photographed), and 1 male Bronzed Cowbird
(photographed).

This is a record early date for Bronzed Cowbird in our region.  The
previous early date was 13 March 2012 in Littlefield.  Our current late
date is 18 October 2013 in Lubbock.  One can't help but wonder if a Bronzed
Cowbird won't, in the coming years, make an overwintering attempt?

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock