[texbirds] Highlights from LEAS field trip on Saturday

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 20:16:18 -0500

Greetings All:
On Saturday, 6 September 2014, I 'led' a Llano Estacado Audubon Society
field trip to the Canyon Lakes of Lubbock County - despite the rain.
Attending were Phillip Kite, Colleen Martin, Gerardo Sandoval, and -
joining us for the afternoon portion of the trip - Ross Rickett.

We started at MacKenzie Park but conditions were a bit too nasty for
birding and we noted only a single Osprey before heading down for a driving
tour of Lake Six.

We spent an hour working our way along Lake Six, including a bit of hiking
in the mesquite uplands above the lake, noting 26 species of birds
including 1 Snowy Egret, 1 Yellow-crowned Night Heron, 1 American Avocet, 1
Wilson's Warbler, and one first fall male Baltimore Oriole.

We then spent an hour in the woodlands immediately below Lake Six, picking
up 22 species of bird including 1 Great Egret, 3 Snowy Egrets, 1 Spotted
Sandpiper, 1 Least Flycatcher, 2 Northern Rough-winged Swallows, 1 Bank
Swallow, and 1 Northern Waterthrush.

We spent some time apart as folk ran errand, reconvening at Ransom Lake at
about  10:45 for 2.5 hours of birding our way around the lake and along the
trails near The Chapel.  Birding was still, due to omnipresent drizzle, a
bit slow but we noted 33 species of bird including 16 Cattle Egrets, 5 Inca
Doves, 1 adult female Rufous Hummingbird, 1 Western Wood Pewee, 1 Willow
Flycatcher, at least 5 Least Flycatchers, 1 Dusky Flycatcher, and 2 Yellow
Warblers.

It was an interesting day with lots of empid action but surprisingly few
warblers.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock