[texbirds] Highlights from Clapp Park tody

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 15:58:46 -0500

Greetings All:
I spent 2.25 hours at Clapp Park this morning and, while it was not as good
as I hoped given the winds and overnight rain, there were a couple of
goodies to be had.

Things were pretty slow for about the first hour and then picked up when a)
a little bit of sun and warmth happened and b) Allan Livingston joined me
and we were able to work both sides of thickets at the same time. The best
bird we flushed was a first fall male Tennessee Warbler. The second best
bird was flushed by Alan towards me: my first Blue-headed Vireo for the
site this year! These were the two additions to my site list for the year,
bringing Clapp Park up to 172 for 2015.

Other highlights included 3 American Wigeons, 1 Yellow-crowned Night Heron,
1 Green Heron, 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk, 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 9 Chimney
Swifts, 1 immature Black-chinned Hummingbird, 4 Orange-crowned Warblers,
and 2 Wilson's Warblers.

I also caught a fleeting glimpse of what was probably a female Vermilion
Flycatcher but it fled before I could get a solid look and could not be
relocated or listed. Just a heads up to any other birders visiting the
park in the near future.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock