[texbirds] Highlights from Bosque, Hood, Shackelford, Somervell and Stephens Counties - Tuesday

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 09:15:14 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
I made a trip down to Austin over the past weekend to visit with Rich
Kostecke and get in some quality TCC birding.  Rich has already shared
highlights from our adventures on 3 and 4 November 2012 - it's up to me
to post a few highlights from the trip down and back.

On Tuesday, 6 November 2012, I made my way from Meridian to Lubbock via
noteworthy birds in Bosque, Somervell, Hood, Stephens, and Shackelford Counties.

Highlights from Bosque County: 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 2
Lesser Yellowlegs, 6 Wilson's Snipes, 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch, and 2 Brown
Creepers at Meridian State Park.

Highlights from Somervell County: 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 1 Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker, 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch, 1 White-breasted Nuthatch, 1 Brown Creeper,
7 Lesser Goldfinches, and 4 American Goldfinches at the park along the Paluxy
River in Glen Rose.

Highlights from Hood County: 1 Neotropic Cormorant, 1 American White Pelican, 2
Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Wilson's Snipe, 60 Franklin's Gulls, and 1 Forster's Tern
at Hunter Park (Granbury Rerservoir); 1 Merlin, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 5 Least
Sandpipers, 2 Bonaparte's Gulls, 1 Sedge Wren, 1 Common Yellowthroat, and 2 Le
Conte's Sparrows at Thorp Spring Park (Granbury Reservoir).

The sole highlight from Stephens County: 5 Bonaparte's Gulls at Hubbard Creek
Reservoir.

The sole highlight from Shackelford County: 1 Merlin just west of the
intersection of Highway 180 and Highway 351.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock