[texbirds] Highlands Geese

  • From: "Ray Porter" <ray.porter314@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:49:02 -0600

The geese which reside in the area of the Highlands Reservoir frequently
roost in the fields around the reservoir, especially on Wade Rd. I have been
trying to catch the Cackling Geese in the fields but have been unsuccessful
until Monday afternoon. I finally found one in the flock and the bird
appears more dainty than I imagined.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/rporter314/ebird%20photos/IMG_8331Asmall_zps2b054895.jpg

The following photo has a Snow standing up and a smaller individual in
front. The smaller bird appears to be a Ross's but the bill doesn't look and
the head looks not as round to me. Could this small individual be a hybrid
or am I simply mistaken about being a Ross's?

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/rporter314/ebird%20photos/IMG_8364Asmall_zpsf3b2b8fb.jpg

I got to looking at this Blue Goose and it seems the bill is shortish. Is
this a Lesser Snow Goose? Most of the Snow Geese in this flock had the
smaller bills, but there were a few which had the very long bills.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff500/rporter314/ebird%20photos/IMG_8373Asmalla_zpsb3a8eea3.jpg

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ray Porter
Highlands, Tx