[texbirds] High Island today

  • From: "Keith Holder" <juprk2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 22:46:42 -0500

Numbers were down, but, variety there. Five Vireo day, 3 Warbling, one
very vocal, 3 Yellow-throated, many Red-eyed, many White-eyed and 2 that I
can remember Blue-headed. Seventeen Warbler day with I know at least 23
Warblers checked off on the list. Fairly quiet throughout the day with
activity picking up around 3 p.m. with birds landing in the trees. We had
a group of 5 male Scarlet Tanagers appear in the tops of the trees at Smith
along with Baltimore Orioles and a good smattering of Warblers and Vireos.
Upon leaving Smith Oaks at 7 p.m. had a group of 25+ Eastern Kingbirds
announce their happy arrival over land. The blind at Boy Scout Woods at
7:30 p.m. produced a Prothonotary, Kentucky and Hooded along with a vocal
Wood Thrush. Wood Thrush were hear off and on all day at Smith Oaks, as
well as Vireos were calling everywhere. A variety of birds were landing in
the trees, Blue and Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo and Painted Bunting,
Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Orchard Orioles.. Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were all
around.

Kathie Holder

Huffman