[texbirds] High Island Update 25 April

  • From: Richard Gibbons <rgibbo3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:00:17 -0500

Texbirders,*
*
Here is the update from Houston Audubon's Volunteer Field Guides at High
Island. Thanks Cameron!

Richard Gibbons

Director of Conservation, Houston Audubon

**

*
*

*April 25th*

This was the day to be in High Island! This really was the day to be in
High Island! The morning walk in Boy Scout Woods had 17 species warblers
and 96 species birds overall in just 2 hours! We had the first Magnolia
Warblers of the season and several gorgeous Bay-breasted Warblers. Purkey
Pond alone held 12 species of warblers! Basically it was hopping!

Like I said, it was a good day to be in High Island and the shorebird tour
to the coast was good but not exceptional. Highlights included several
Franklin's Gulls and a Black Tern completed a complete sweep of the terns.

The evening Smith Oaks walk was even more diverse than the morning walk
with multiple Chestnut-sided Warblers, Bay-breasted Warblers, Magnolia
Warblers, some lingering Kentucky Warblers, and even two Cerulean Warblers
and a Black-billed Cuckoo. Basically it was a great day to be a birder in
Texas!

Cameron Cox

Tropical Birding Field Guide and

Volunteer Houston Audubon Field Guide