[texbirds] Hidalgo co. geese

  • From: Pat DeWenter <hoocooks4you@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 17:48:04 -0600

This morning I saw approx. 200 Snow Geese, 80 Greater White-fronted Geese
and 2 Ross's Geese in a field just west of Rio Rico Road, which is about 3
1/2 miles east of the intersection of FM 1015 and Military Highway (281).
This was just on the edge of my Weslaco patch.   It was so windy that it
was hard to scope the field properly, but I did see 2 smaller geese with
triangular shape bills.  There may have been more, but I felt lucky to see
those two!  Along with all the geese, there were approx. 2000 Red-winged
Blackbirds, but following their flight as well as the ones feeding on the
ground, I couldn't pick out a Yellow-headed Blackbird.
Pat DeWenter
Weslaco, Hidalgo County