[texbirds] Hidalgo County Shorebirding

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 18:24:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Pat Heirs felt sorry for me and offered to take me birding today :-), so I
cheated and decided to include this day as part of my "Big Week"!  We had a
 ball:  the full trip report with pictures is on my blog, but the highlight
 was a flooded field to the east along FM 1015 just north of FM 1422 that
was  just STUFFED with shorebirds!  Specialties included Buff-breasted Sands,
 Pectoral Sands, one Upland Sand, and a couple of Golden Plovers!  Besides
that, tons of yellowlegs and dowitchers...  We also stopped at the Hargill
Playa (Pat got the Wilson's Plover; I just got the Snowy) and Delta Lake
(thought we had a Hudsonian Godwit, but it was just a bright dowitcher doing
a  good impersonation... ;-)) Just a few hours of birding tallied 64 species!

Full report and pics:

http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/Big%20Week%202014/Day%202%20Hidalgo
%20County%20Shorebirding.html

Bird List:

  Black-bellied  Whistling-Duck          Dendrocygna  autumnalis
Mottled  Duck                           Anas fulvigula
Blue-winged  Teal                       Anas discors
Northern  Shoveler                      Anas clypeata
Redhead                                Aythya americana
Neotropic  Cormorant                    Phalacrocorax brasilianus
Double-crested  Cormorant               Phalacrocorax auritus
Great  Egret                            Ardea alba
Snowy  Egret                            Egretta thula
Tricolored  Heron                       Egretta tricolor
Cattle  Egret                           Bubulcus ibis
White-faced  Ibis                       Plegadis chihi
Black  Vulture                          Coragyps atratus
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Swainson's  Hawk                        Buteo swainsoni
Sora                                   Porzana carolina
American  Coot                          Fulica americana
Black-necked  Stilt                     Himantopus mexicanus
American  Avocet                        Recurvirostra americana
American  Golden-Plover                 Pluvialis dominica
Snowy  Plover                           Charadrius nivosus
Killdeer                               Charadrius vociferus
Spotted  Sandpiper                      Actitis macularius
Greater  Yellowlegs                     Tringa melanoleuca
Lesser  Yellowlegs                      Tringa flavipes
Upland  Sandpiper                       Bartramia longicauda
Marbled  Godwit                         Limosa fedoa
Stilt  Sandpiper                        Calidris himantopus
Baird's  Sandpiper                      Calidris bairdii
Least  Sandpiper                        Calidris minutilla
Buff-breasted  Sandpiper                Calidris subruficollis
Pectoral  Sandpiper                     Calidris melanotos
Long-billed  Dowitcher                  Limnodromus scolopaceus
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Least  Tern                             Sternula antillarum
Gull-billed  Tern                       Gelochelidon nilotica
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
Eurasian  Collared-Dove                 Streptopelia decaocto
White-winged  Dove                      Zenaida asiatica
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Chimney  Swift                          Chaetura pelagica
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker              Melanerpes aurifrons
Crested  Caracara                       Caracara cheriway
Brown-crested  Flycatcher               Myiarchus tyrannulus
Great  Kiskadee                         Pitangus sulphuratus
Western  Kingbird                       Tyrannus verticalis
Eastern  Kingbird                       Tyrannus tyrannus
Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher              Tyrannus forficatus
Loggerhead  Shrike                      Lanius ludovicianus
Northern Rough-winged  Swallow         Stelgidopteryx  serripennis
Bank  Swallow                           Riparia riparia
Barn  Swallow                           Hirundo rustica
Cave  Swallow                           Petrochelidon fulva
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
European  Starling                      Sturnus vulgaris
Common  Yellowthroat                    Geothlypis trichas
Lark  Sparrow                           Chondestes grammacus
Savannah  Sparrow                       Passerculus sandwichensis
Dickcissel                             Spiza americana
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Eastern  Meadowlark                     Sturnella magna
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Bronzed Cowbird
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus
64 SPECIES
So far:  87 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX