[texbirds] Hidalgo Co. birding (Monday,12/07/15): incl. Black Phoebe

  • From: Rex Stanford <calidris.bairdii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 22:41:21 -0600

What follows is an account of the afternoon phase of our yesterday’s
birding (Monday, 12/07/15) in Hidalgo County, first on the far-eastern
boundary of the county along Mile 12 Road, a short distance east of
FM-1425; second, in Hargill (ca. 4:00 – 4:30 PM); and, finally a
south-north tour of Brushline Road between FM-490 and FM-186.

MILE 12 ROAD (early afternoon, viewing from its dirt-road extension perhaps
0.2 mi. east of FM-1425): SWAINSON’S HAWK light-morph juvenile perched on a
control wheel atop an irrigation standpipe south of Mile 12 Road (alongside
a berm); we studied it under excellent light through a scope and then drove
a bit east and then south to study it, using scope again, for a different
angle-of-regard and different sun angle. We thereby were able to reach a
confident conclusion as to its identity and age despite its distance. This
species, hard to find at this late date, was for us a major highlight of
the day.

HARGILL AREA (ca. 4:10-4:40 PM): Viewed the playa (at Lincoln and 1st
streets) from Lincoln via scope, but did not tarry long. Among the birds
present were a small number of AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN, several LESSER
SCAUP, several AMERICAN AVOCET and a few other expected shorebirds, but
difficult to ID conclusively as to species at that distance, but included
some yellowlegs. Finally, from 1st Street west of FM-1425 we birded studied
the wooded area north that street, where we enjoyed WHITE-TAILED KITE (at
least 2, and my wife glimpsed what she thought to be a third); also present
was a larger, much darker raptor perched on a branch of a large mesquite. I
jumped out, took several photos, and, using the photos, was able this
evening confidently to ascertain its identity as a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK
juvenile.

BRUSHLINE ROAD (ca. 5:00 – 5:35 PM, traveling north from FM-490 to FM-186):
It was gratifying to find here, again, WHITE TAILED KITE (2) over plowed
fields, and one of them sat for some time on the substrate, apparently
enjoying a morsel of food. This beautiful species was a special delight in
the late-day light. Several ponds, large and small, line this road and most
had ducks of common species, but a nice surprise greeted us from a power
line west across the road from what probably was the first such pool we
encountered (east side of the road). There sat a handsome BLACK PHOEBE,
which occasionally would sally forth for aerial prey. It flew moments
before I had the camera ready to photograph it, but there was no
possibility of mistaking this unique and striking species. In our Brushline
Road tour we also greatly enjoyed SANDHILL CRANE, a total of 17 for the
whole stretch, 14 spread out along the margin of a plowed field (east side
of road) bounded on the far side by some grass and then trees. At the end
of our Brushline Road tour (and our day of birding) we stopped and enjoyed
a peaceful low-sun, late-day, view of a large flooded field (or pasture?)
on the west side of the road shortly before FM-186 where shorebirds were
foraging among tall grass. Seeing them clearly in the rapidly dimming light
among that tall grass and some mixed vegetation was not easy, but we
enjoyed roughly 20 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, several GREATER YELLOWLEGS and
one LESSER YELLOWLEGS. They were others, too obscured by vegetation to
identify or estimate as to number. Enriching this vista at its far
northwest margin were three SANDHILL CRANES, occasionally foraging but more
often looking about as if pondering flight. They soon did take to the air
and vanished heading steadily southwest, possibly toward a deeper area of
water, which the species sometimes uses for protection against predation.
Seeing them move into the glow of pre-dusk light seemed a suitable finale
for a day of birding. We enjoyed, too, a very welcome late-day musical
finale, the intermittent but persistent trill of a frog, possibly a Rio
Grande Leopard Frog, from the near edge of the water. It somehow accented
the silence. We were tempted to stay longer, but it was time to head home.

Wishing everyone the best of birding – Rex Stanford (Weslaco).