[texbirds] Hidalgo Co. - Oriole ID help

  • From: Ian Layton <ilayton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 11:06:59 -0600

All,
I took this picture at one of the feeders in Bentsen-RGV SP yesterday
(01/19). DId not have a whole lot of time to observe - it was in and out!
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/V_U0W1QPoovJ7HPot5QU3gahbjAHFlSYlUTlIRO6Kk4?feat=directlink

My initial ID was female Hooded Oriole. This based on size, bill shape
and color. I saw a male Altamira Oriole elsewhere in the park but not
near this location. I did see what appeared to be a very faint dark bib
under the beak, so maybe a juvenile? On reading up on Hooded Orioles and
also based on eBird data, I am now starting to question my ID. It
appears that this is more a summer occurrence in this area and that the
resident subspecies (sennetti) females are more orange-y in color.
However, I do not have any other good candidates.
Can anyone confirm or correct my ID?
thanks
Ian Layton

--