[texbirds] Henderson County today

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 15:54:39 -0600

Doug Ghrist and I birded the area around Trinidad and Malakoff this
morning. On CR 1201, southeast of Malakoff, we had 50 Cackling and 50
Canada Geese, 100 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, 200 Brewer's Blackbirds
and approximately 1500 Brown-headed Cowbirds, the biggest concentration I
have seen in NE Texas for awhile. We also had an adult Cooper's Hawk
perched by the road, dining on a Brown-headed Cowbird.
There were relatively few ducks on the power plant lake in Trinidad, but we
did have 5 Redheads and a Blue-winged Teal. We had about 200 Snow Geese
flying west of the road north of the power plant lake, and a male Northern
Harrier at Cresslenn Park.

Thanks to D.D. Currie for telling me about the CR 1201 location.

Peter Barnes
Tyler