[texbirds] Re: Hemphill Co. Swan

  • From: Janet Rathjen <j.rathjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx" <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>, TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 15:39:50 -0800 (PST)

It looks like Trumpeter to me.  Not withstanding the appearance of a yellow
spot on the bill, the bill appears large, long and with a straight upper
culmen.  The curvature of the feathering on the upper bill looks intermediate
between pointed and curved, but shows a hint of a pointed tip.  Looking at the
comparison page that Dennis posted, the amount of black between the eyes and
the bill appears to be broad as in Trumpeter.  As a result, I am wondering if
the "yellow spot" on the bill may be an artifact of light or a piece of debris
on the bill rather than a true yellow spot.  Especially since you did not
notice it when observing it directly.  Just my 2 cents.

Janet Rathjen
Houston, TX