[texbirds] Re: Help with Gull ID - Possible Western Gull

  • From: mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:57:45 -0700

This bird sure strikes me as a Yellow-footed Gull. If I saw it at
the Salton Sea it would likely go down as one. Can't wait to hear
what the experts see in it...

Great find Gary!

Mitch Heindel
Utopia

On 2015-04-23 10:46, Gary Binderim wrote:

Yesterday, I observed a gull with yellow legs and yellow bill on the
beach, near the end of the Texas City Dike in Galveston County.  It
has a completely unstreaked head and a dark grey mantle.  It appears
to have yellow to clear yellow eyes and an orange-yellow orbital
ring.  The bill appears to be slightly damaged.
It would appear more like a Yellow-footed Gull but Sibley indicates
that Western Gull adults in spring can develop yellow legs and the
orbital ring appears to be more orange than yellow.  I have never seen
either of these two species of gulls and would not be surprised if
this is a completely different gull from the two I suspect.  I would
appreciate feedback from others concerning the ID of this Gull.
https://flic.kr/p/rkd5pg
https://flic.kr/p/rXFE5r
https://flic.kr/p/rZrxz1
https://flic.kr/p/rkd5HT