[texbirds] Re: Hay County Tough Weekend on Cuckoos

  • From: Ervin Fleming <endersgt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hurricanetg@xxxxxxxxxxx, naturalister@xxxxxxxxx, Tex Birds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 09:15:47 -0700 (PDT)

Evolutionarily speaking, have you seen any adjustment in their behavior  (or in
the death toll) over the years as surviving parents teach their young?

________________________________
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 08:06:02 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Hay County Tough Weekend on Cuckoos
From: naturalister@xxxxxxxxx
To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Heading into town Friday I saw a DOR Roadrunner on the shoulder of Limekiln Rd.
and planned to pick it up on the return from my quick errand into town.

Buzzards or someone else must have gotten it as it was missing when I came back
but before I reached the house I came upon a second fresh DOR, a Yellow-billed
Cuckoo.  That one went into the freezer for a future trip to CS.  Yesterday
(Sunday July 8) again headed into town I arrived at the stop sign at Limekiln
and Post Rd. and there in the middle of intersection was another DOR
Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  Did not look o be in very good shape, and a busy
intersection, so was left.

We are a mere 4 miles from town on Limekiln but I see many birds DOR lately,
possibly cause I travel it so much and look for the things (there was also a
DOR
wren and what looked to be a young Scissor-tailed flycatcher at 45mph no brake
tap, now I am wondering if it was actually another Cuckoo) just in the past
week.  Not sure why so many birds are getting themselves run over, maybe these
birds are this years crop and simply lack experience with cars.

For whatever reason, can't remember seeing a DOR Yellow-billed before, but this
weekend saw at least 2.

Kurt Johnson
Hays County, just outside San Marcos