[texbirds] Hay County Tough Weekend on Cuckoos

  • From: Kurt Johnson <naturalister@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 08:06:02 -0500

Heading into town Friday I saw a DOR Roadrunner on the shoulder of Limekiln
Rd. and planned to pick it up on the return from my quick errand into town.
Buzzards or someone else must have gotten it as it was missing when I came
back but before I reached the house I came upon a second fresh DOR, a
Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  That one went into the freezer for a future trip to
CS.  Yesterday (Sunday July 8) again headed into town I arrived at the stop
sign at Limekiln and Post Rd. and there in the middle of intersection was
another DOR Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  Did not look o be in very good shape,
and a busy intersection, so was left.

We are a mere 4 miles from town on Limekiln but I see many birds DOR
lately, possibly cause I travel it so much and look for the things (there
was also a DOR wren and what looked to be a young Scissor-tailed flycatcher
at 45mph no brake tap, now I am wondering if it was actually another
Cuckoo) just in the past week.  Not sure why so many birds are getting
themselves run over, maybe these birds are this years crop and simply lack
experience with cars.

For whatever reason, can't remember seeing a DOR Yellow-billed before, but
this weekend saw at least 2.

Kurt Johnson
Hays County, just outside San Marcos