[texbirds] Re: Hawk photo ID

  • From: Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arman Moreno <armanmoreno@xxxxxxxxx>, texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:37:43 -0600

Firstly that I mis-typed in RTH for RSHA is of no matter other than
introducing some confusion.  Set that aside.  Many times, in fact always
I mention my 'newness' to bird ID'ing.  BUT I had closely observed TWO
Cooper's and 1 Sharp-shinned over the past 2 months, the Cooper's at
leat 3 times a week used our bird buffet as just that, reducing the
dove, jay population noticeably.  Always perched within 50-75' of my
viewing spot, so Adult Cooper's and Sharpies I am pretty familiar with,
also as you noted Red-shouldered is common here, and these are seen and
watched at least once a week.  As for my references they are 'Petersons
Hawk's of No America', and Pete Dunne's 'Essential Field Guide
Companion'  and a couple more generic ones like the 'Nat'l Geo Complete
Birds of Of North America'.
I am still learning.  One thing though that a local ornithologist has
drummed into me is not to ID a bird by pictures alone.  Having said all
that the ONE thing that does have huge weight to the argument that this
may indeed be a immature RSHA (and I completely missed it) is the eye
color...a beginners rank oversight.

I do appreciate all the feedback though because without it the learning
curve would be a lot steeper.
thanks

--
Monte
Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will