[texbirds] Harris County Western Grebe

  • From: Berner Family <jcazberner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:12:24 -0800 (PST)

Texbirders:

Sent out links to the previously posted photos from Nina R and Stephan L to at
least nine "experts", some in Texas, four nationally known birders from outside
of Texas with Aechmophorus experience and including two Aechmophorus grebe
"experts" with Aechmophorus Grebe hybrid experience.

The consensus of those consulted was that the bird is a Western Grebe.

One example: Andre Konter from Museum of Natural History, Luxembourg,; author
of  Visual Assessment of Interbreeding by Aechmophorus Grebes
published in Wilson Journal of Ornithology in 2012

who indicated "I am pretty sure, it is not a first generation hybrid." and
concluded "I personally would not hesitate to classify the record as that of a
Western Grebe."

Six of the others including the other perosn with hybrid experience said
Western Grebe unreservedly, the final two said leaning/probably Western but not
100%--could leave it as Aech Sp.

Congrats to Stephan for discovering this bird and thanks to the photographers,
reviewers, observers of the bird and the many Texbirders who provided opinions
about the bird.

John Berner
W. Houston